Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Running Routine

I've recently discovered after running my last 5k that I run better if I don't listen to music. I ran the Blueberry 5k with friends and my husband. Here we are here:



Running with my husband always pushes me to run faster because his legs are so much longer and I have to push to keep up. This journey to this race was a hot mess for us. We left OKI in just enough time to make it to Burgaw at the start of the race. Genius I know, time just slipped away that morning. After we got downtown I forgot my decided not to run with the iPod in. I was bummed at first but honestly listening to your feet hit and concentrating on your breathing at 7:30 am was actually really nice. I was finally able to breath in 3 out 3 which is something I really try to do at home when I'm training, but can't ever seem to do.  I think I tend to pant breathe to the beat of the music.

I don't think I'll be able to listen to noting for the 1/2 in September but it's nice on a 3 mile run. Something else that prepared my breathing is running with my friend Brooke. Brooke and I tend to talk non-stop throughout the entire run. It's easy at the beginning but every day towards the end of the run we're both using shorter and shorter breaths. So I think not talking during that particular race really improved my pace.

What do you think? Do you listen to music when you run or not? Do you talk to a friend or yourself? I'd love to know your normal training routine!

No comments:

Post a Comment