Thursday, August 1, 2013

Resting is Training Too!

This past week I have not ran even one mile. Although I have felt super lazy, I've been busy and mainly recovering. Last Monday I was running what I thought were some make up miles. I had missed my long run over the weekend because we house hunted literally all day. So Monday I thought, "I'll just get that long run in today." Nope. Not even close. I ran as much as I walked. I felt like a child learning to use my legs for the first time .I stumbled, twisted my foot, nearly tripped a few times, was out of breath and in pain the entire run. I went ONE mile and walked to try and regain my breath and start fresh. I think  I MAY have made it a quarter mile before I walked again and then again and again. It was so frustrating. I just couldn't get into my stride.

Not to make excuses but if I was making them I will say I have had a dull shin splint that was furious that day. It just wouldn't go away and since it was having such a good time my left shin decided to join in. Needless to say I decided to take a few days off, which turned into a week. I did feel lazy and worthless but my body thanked me! I've been so conscious about eating healthy and making sure to excessive I was sure that I would gain 5 lbs immediately after taking a break. I'm happy to say I didn't gain anything.

All that to say that if your body says STOP, give me a break!, I need REST! Remember rest days (or in this case a week) is still training. Your body needs down time. If you ignore that, you could find yourself laid up from an injury. I can't wait to get back today! I got 2 awesome running tanks from family this past weekend. My sweet unborn nephew, Noah, got me one that says "I don't sweat, I SPARKLE" Which I am obsessed with! It's so me because I sparkle A LOT. I didn't know it was possible for people to sparkle that much. I also got a really pretty one with a cool back pattern which will be nice to rock since I have a permanent razorback suntan going on right now :)

No comments:

Post a Comment