Thursday, August 15, 2013

You're a Real Pain!

Just the other day I was pouting about how my last run was hard, and is it ever going to be easy, and when am I going to be able to say I am a runner? When my epiphany came...I AM a runner. I do it 5 days a week and even if I didn't, I'm no less of a runner. It's funny how we strive for more all the time and while that isn't always a bad thing, when it comes to my self esteem as an active runner, it feels really good to say. One of my favorite feels after running (after "yay I'm finished!") is knowing that I get to call myself an athlete again and that feels awesome.

I do have some actual tips and info. to share today, aside from my earlier rant. Today there are two F words to add to your vocabulary. Fit and Form. Let me explain:

When I first started "running"(I laugh now because it was sporadic and one mile only) a year ago I was wearing some sweet colored Nikes I had bought on sale at Foot Locker. They were cute, and BOLD, and people always said "Cool shoes" and I loved it. These shoes got attention but the did not give me support. My feet would literally go numb. I'm no doctor but that isn't the desired effect of running. When I started running longer distances and more frequently I knew it was time to change shoes. I went to a store and was fitted with my new best friends. I LOVE my Brooks. It's a good idea to go to a running store and let them see you run, no matter how weird it may seem, especially if you're like me and have no idea what you need to be looking for when it comes to a neutral or stabilizing shoe...huh? They say most shoes will be able to withstand 200-300 miles. I do think after my second bought of shin splints recently that I may need to go back and check in to some other pairs for different needs. In the last month or two I feel like I've finally found my stride and my pace so with that, the shoes may need to retire.

If you have been fitted for a new shoe by someone who is probably a super freakishly good runner and some specialty running store, and you're still having problems, shin splints, numb feet, tight calves, then maybe it's not the shoes. Just as in any sport, form is crucial to running. One of my favorite FRIENDS episode is when Rachel and Phoebe go running together. If you watch the show, you know this is true Phoebe form. Try not to take advice from Phoebe. Instead, you really want to try to strike the ground mid-foot. This absorbs more of the shock and pounding that your body has to take on from hitting the pavement over and over. Another interesting tip is to take smaller strides. Although log legged people can get places in less steps, when you run and take smaller steps, you fatigue less quickly and improve your overall time. The last piece of running advice is lean slightly forward while running. It shouldn't be too noticeable but your upper half should be slightly forward. This alignment will also help you pick up your speed because your body will feel the need to catch up with itself.

All that to say...Form is important and if your feet or legs are killing you or even mildly hurting when you're running and you haven't been fitted properly for a running shoe based on your needs, GO GET FITTED!

No comments:

Post a Comment